Suggestions and Complaints




We are committed to ensuring that there is a clear and effective process in place that enables patients to complain when dissatisfied with care, treatment and services.

As a member of the public.

We hope that most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned. Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this will help us to establish a clear picture of what has happened. In any event, this should be:  Within 12 months of the incident, or  Within 6 months of you discovering that you have a problem, provided this is within 12 months of the incident. If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet. Complaints should be addressed to the Practice Manager or any of the doctors. Alternatively, you may ask for an appointment with the manager to discuss your concerns.


What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible. We will acknowledge receipt of a written complaint within 3 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses. When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so. When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you. Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with. The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.


Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it. Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter. Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply. We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.


If you are Dissatisfied with the Outcome

We hope that if you have a problem, you will use our practice complaint procedure. We believe this will give us the best chance of addressing what has gone wrong and provide an opportunity to improve our practice. If you feel that you cannot raise your complaint with us or that you are dissatisfied with our response to your complaint you can complain to the following: All complaints, concerns and enquiries queries regarding Independent Contractor Services (e.g. GP, Dentist, Pharmacy, Opticians) should be directed to: NHS England, P.O. Box 16738 Redditch B97 9PT Tel: 0300 311 22 33 (Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays) Email: Complaints regarding commissioning decisions / issues e.g. individual patient funding requests and continuing health complaints Customer Care Team Chorley & South Ribble CCG Chorley House Lancashire Business Park Centurion Way Leyland. PR26 6TT Tel: 01772 214601 or 01772 214602 Email:

Alternatively, you can also contact the Care Quality Commission, the independent regulator for all adult health and care services in England.


Health Service Ombudsman

You also have the right to approach the Health Service Ombudsman. If you have any questions about whether the Ombudsman will be able to help or about how to make a complaint you can contact them via:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower


If you are in need of support with making a compliant you can contact Advocacy Access by Phone: 0345 456 3210


As a member of staff

Following the ‘freedom to speak up review’ by Sir Robert Francis, it was recommended that all NHS organisations foster a culture of safety and learning in which staff feel safe when raising concerns.

Practice staff can raise any concerns via the CCGs’ Freedom to Speak Up Guardian, Paul Richardson, who is the CCGs’ Vice Chair and Lay Member for Governance. Contact Paul by email

You can find out more about this role via the CCGs Freedom to Speak Up Policy.

Alternatively, Staff can also raise concerns anonymously via the Care Quality Commission.